In Case You Missed A Recent Post




Sunday 1 November 2015

Remember 2015

You may be wondering why I'm doing a Remembrance day themed post - the reason is since I only post every 2nd week November 11th Remembrance Day here in Canada would come before my next post and I didn't want to miss this post going up. 
I want to share a story about what made me so aware of the wars as neither of my grandfathers were able to serve.  It was the mid 1970's, I would have been 7 or 8 and my dad went into the hospital to have knee surgery.  My mom would take us in the evenings to visit him.  We would enter the hospital and there were some gentlemen always there that we would stop to visit with before heading up to see my dad.
It would be quite a few years later before it hit me who these gentlemen were and I checked with my mother to see if I was right.  She confirmed for me that the gentlemen in the wheelchairs with missing limbs we used to visit with were war veteran's and sadly they didn't get that many visitors and because of their wounds they lived at the hospital.
Sadly I can no longer see their faces in my memories but every so often and on Remembrance Day that memory does return.   
It's hard to believe what so many have given for others to live in freedom and peace.
Veteran's Affairs put this poster out this year for the anniversary of the poem "In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae so I thought I would share.




The middle picture above is the cover of the Star weekly Magazine from Toronto October 28th, 1944 that my husband found for me at a flea market.  The other pictures are the WRENS which stood for the Women Royal Naval Service.



The pictures above are of World War 2 and also from the same Star Weekly magazine.


King George the Fifth was King of England during World War I, the picture is from The Sphere Magazine cover from January 25, 1936, the next picture at the top is Wanda the Welder, then Ration books from World War 2, The Life Magazine cover has Winston Churchill on the cover from May 21st, 1945, and a knitting pattern book for service woollies. 


I found his pin at the flea market a few years back and usually wear it on one of my hats.

A couple of weeks back my husband found me this 50th Anniversary Mug of VE Day.


I found this figurine of Rosie The Riveter a couple of years ago at a second hand store.



Yet again these pictures come from the family albums but I do not know who the people in them are.



I found this Barbie doll in a Mountie's uniform a couple of weeks ago at my favorite second hand store.


 Sharing with




3 comments:

  1. Denise, what a wonderful way to honor your Remembrance Day. I enjoyed your sharing the memory of visiting the veterans with your mom. How sweet of her to take the time for the two of you to do so. Love your stash of collectibles, especially Rosie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise,

    I'm so glad you included the poppies. My mother used to buy one each year as a reminder. You've accumulated a terrific collection.

    Don't we wish for no more war?

    Thanks for sharing.

    Have a Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tribute to those veterans! I so enjoyed seeing those mementos. That's a beautiful pin. I'm glad you were able to find the story behind those men at the hospital when you were a child. I hope we don't squander the freedom for which so many have sacrificed so much.

    ReplyDelete

Look forward to your kind comments.
Denise

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...