In Case You Missed A Recent Post




Monday 31 March 2014

A Dream Of A Slower Life

 I spent most of last week thinking about what I wanted to post this week and I wasn't coming up with any ideas.  On Saturday I decided to go with an idea then on Sunday I changed my mind and decided to go with the following post.


I've been thinking about how I would like life to be a little less busy, rushed and stressful.  Whenever I have these thoughts the family cabin in Sechelt, British Columbia Canada comes to mind.  It's been well over two decades since my grandmother sold it, it's funny I always thought it would be there for the family.  Right away I go back to sitting on the porch in the morning drinking tea listening to the water lapping on the beach Gordon Lightfoot, Bob Dylan and so many others singing.  I would look out and see the sun shining on the water thinking the sun was dancing on the water and the islands in front of the cabin standing proud.  Walking into town spending a couple of hours looking around hitting the second hand book store for some books.  This is always where I go to in my memories when I want to feel life has slowed down a little so many good memories to remember.


I found this sign last summer at a garage sale and thought it fit in this post after all when I look at it I thought of the cabin.  I added the enamel brooches to add more of a Spring look.

I found this small Pyrex refrigerator dish it's in the Spring Blossom Green pattern, it came minus a lid.


I have a friend who collects books with poem and pictures by Cicely Mary Barker so whenever I see them I pick them up.  She has this one so this book will go to her granddaughter's collection.


I don't know what it is about powder compacts but whenever I find one if  I can afford it  I buy it.  This one was made in England.

Wedding Update:


I thought I would pull my mom's wedding dress out to show it's a bit wrinkled well not a bit a lot.  I won't be wearing it there's not a chance of me squeezing into it.  If we had not lost my dad they would have been married 49 years March 04th.


I'm not planning to wear a traditional wedding dress but something I can wear again.  I'm thinking 50's early 60's style the above pictures are some examples of what I'm thinking.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Denise,

    Actually I wore a dress much like the pattern on the right for my small wedding in 1958. It was blue flowers on white.

    There's a show on TV called, "Something Borrowed, Something New." They take old wedding gowns and transform them into gorgeous up-to-date dresses. You might want to check it out. It's on TLC.

    Have a Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure whatever dress you pick you will look awesome! Happy Blue Monday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, love this post, so much goodness! :) Hope you will show us your dress after your wedding. I think I'm sitting on your family cottage porch sipping a hot cup of tea right now, what lovely memories you have whenever you need them. Love your finds, especially the vintage compact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that pattern for a wedding dress! That Pyrex refrigerator dish is cute, with or without a top! I have that same pattern in some baking dishes, except the reverse -- green with white flowers. I'd love to find that book for my granddaughter -- she has a number of fairy storybooks and just loves them. I bet the illustrations are beautiful in the one you found :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to be able to reminisce back to a slower, more relaxed time. I always think of vacations on the Jersey shore growing up. The beach will always be in my heart. We try to give that experience to our kids whenever we can. Love the wedding dress! I wore my mom's back in 1995. It was almost 50 years old then:) After three kids I most definitely could not fit into it today! xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all yearn for a slower, more relaxed lifestyle. Your post was especially beautiful today. I am your newest follower.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great treasures. they mean so much more when they are family heirlooms.... I love your mother's wedding dress..... It still looks so good!!!
    Wishing you a happy Tuesday!! :)
    “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have it altered! If you want to go sleeveless, alter the dress to fit! IT CAN BE DONE!

    Hugs,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Denise!
    I;m so happy you came for Rednesday. Your post is perfect.....there is some red sprinkled in there...
    I love compacts too and they can be expensive so I like to just look at em. I see everyone is letting you know the dress can be altered, but displaying it is good or use the embellishments from the dress on yours you could create other items from the rest of the material.. I would keep as is and display it, but some just use for Christening Gowns, family bib;e covers, keepsake book covers...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice to have your Mom's wedding dress! We have a friend in Richmond with a place in Sechelt. We plan to make it up there this summer...we have promised her. She loves the area so much.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful wedding dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Slowing down is so good for the body and soul! Your mom's wedding dress is beautiful.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did an excellent job coming up with so many neat things. Loved seeing and learning about each one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my your mom's dress is SO LOVELY! but I do like your patterns too--excited for your wedding : )

    ReplyDelete

Look forward to your kind comments.
Denise

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...